Of course I'm liberal, I believe in liberty.

Thursday, January 13, 2005

Defenders of Creationism

You know, even though I usually disagreed with Paul over at WizBang!, I knew he wasn't as rational as he claimed to be, but I really wasn't expecting this from him.
Evolution Nazis- Don't Let Children Think

Say What?

"Judge Rejects Georgia School Board Evolution Stand"
Is evolution a proven fact? No. Neither is Relativity, Newton's Laws of Motion, Quantum Mechanics, or anything else in Science. Science isn't math and it never has nor ever will prove anything, but it's damn good at discovering the truths of our physical world. For a theory to be scientific it must be falsifiable. Theories become accepted as near fact as they withstand repeated attempts to find holes and disprove them. Evolution has done a remarkably good job explaining the details of biology and is on as solid ground as anything else in science.

The only reason for those stickers are religious ones, not scientific. Let the scientists teach science and the ministers teach the gospel.


UPDATE: I'm getting complaints I didn't include the sticker in the post. Those complaints are perfectly valid; I was on my way out when I decided I had time for a quick post, basically reprinting the comments I left at the Wizbang! blog. Sorry about that. Here is the sticker in question:
The stickers read: This textbook contains material on evolution. Evolution is a theory, not a fact, regarding the origin of living things. This material should be approached with an open mind, studied carefully and critically considered.
Children should be taught to think for themselves, including questioning evolution and all of the sciences, Paul and I agree there, I think. Every good scientist questions everything, at least up to a point. But there is no doubt this sticker is directed at evolution for very religious reasons, which is why the court rightly rejected it.

At the Wizbang! blog someone posted a comment I agreed with completely:
“This book contains material on scientific theories. All scientific theories, and scientific thought that may be presented as fact, should be approached with an open mind, studied carefully and critically considered”
Although the above note is not placed in textbooks by means of a sticker, the statement seems to be implicit, or at the least should be implicit, in any science textbook.

Posted by: RicardoVerde at January 13, 2005 11:04 PM