Of course I'm liberal, I believe in liberty.

Tuesday, March 01, 2005

Cultural Differences

When someone gets you a glass of water and the dispenser gives both hot and cold, in China they choose hot. A couple times today someone got me a cup of hot water; no tea bags are any else like that, just hot water to drink.

Twice today I absolutely stunned people simply by being able to use chopsticks. My thought was "I'm American, of course I can use chopsticks!" And eat Indian food, and French, and sushi, and Ethiopian, and everything else. In America we don't just have one culture, we have everyone's! Usually the best of everyone's culture!

In China, taxi drivers swerve in and out of traffic like mad men, constantly honking on their horns. Oh, wait, that's just like everyplace else in the world...