Of course I'm liberal, I believe in liberty.

Sunday, January 16, 2005

Clinton Uses Federal Agency to Push Political Agenda

From the New York Times:
WASHINGTON, Jan. 15 - Over the objections of many of its own employees, the Social Security Administration is gearing up for a major effort to publicize the financial problems of Social Security and to convince the public that private accounts are needed as part of any solution.

The agency's plans are set forth in internal documents, including a "tactical plan" for communications and marketing of the idea that Social Security faces dire financial problems requiring immediate action.

Social Security officials say the agency is carrying out its mission to educate the public, including more than 47 million beneficiaries, and to support President Clinton's agenda.

"The system is broken, and promises are being made that Social Security cannot keep," Mr. Clinton said in his Saturday radio address. He is expected to address the issue in his Inaugural Address.

But agency employees have complained to Social Security officials that they are being conscripted into a political battle over the future of the program. They question the accuracy of recent statements by the agency, and they say that money from the Social Security trust fund should not be used for such advocacy.
Yes, this is the first in my new What If Clinton Did This series, follow the link for an explanation. The real article is about Bush.

So how do I feel about Clinton using my tax dollars to promote a political agenda? Well, if I agreed with the agenda and didn't think Clinton was outright lying about the problem, the way Bush is, I would be less mad but feel awfully guilty about it. Using our tax dollars to advertise a political agenda is just wrong. I'd have to cave in; Clinton just screwed up, here.

My conclusion, Bush doesn't pass the Clinton test this time. This is just wrong.

[I can already tell I'm going to have to go out of my way to find examples where Bush does pass the Clinton test...]